In order to provide you with the best online experience this website uses cookies. By using our website, you agree to our use of cookies. Close More Info

Property Advice

Pages: First Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next Last

Nethouseprices are delighted to have partnered with Kate Faulkner, one of the UK’s top property experts, to bring you the best help and advice for your property project or help solving a problem.

Kate is the author of property books for Which? the consumer organisation and is regularly featured in the media, commentating on the property market and giving advice on every type of residential property project or problem.

Kate and her team at have sourced the very best companies and organisation to partner with to bring you independent, up to date advice and help. So whatever you need to know, they will have a checklist or article to help or you can even ask them for help directly through their Contact Us or Forum.

These Buy to Let quick checklist guides will help you through the property investment and management minefield!

  • Selling to a Cash Buyer, What to Consider

    There is a huge range of reasons people need to sell their homes quickly, such as a house sale falling through, needing to sell an inherited or second property, relationship breakdown, wanting to avoid house viewings, needing to pay off debts quickly, relocating for work or being unable to sell a property with a short lease or in a bad state of repair on the open market. If this sounds like you, a professional property buyer could be the answer – here’s how to choose a company which will treat you fairly.

    Read more
  • Do I need to Serve a Party Wall Notice – Collier Stevens

    You are likely to need a party wall notice if your work includes basements, repairing a boundary wall or building on, or up to, the boundary between you and a neighbour. You need to ask, do you have a party wall or fence or structure that you share with a neighbour? You can issue your own party wall notice but you may need to serve several different notices under various parts of the party wall act so it’s worth using a RICS surveyor as they are more likely to do this properly for you. Make sure you spend some time reading our checklists and articles so you know what to do and when and who can help you.

    Read more
  • I have received a party wall notice, what do I do? - Collier Stevens

    The first and probably most important thing to do if you receive a party wall notice (PWN) is not to ignore it. A PWN informs you that a neighbour is planning to do some building works that could affect your property/boundary walls. You must reply within a fortnight either assenting or dissenting to the work. If you don't reply you automatically dissent and must appoint a surveyor within the following 10 days. If you don't appoint one, your neighbour will do so for you. Do ensure you read our checklist and articles so you know and understand what to do when it comes to neighbours and building works.

    Read more
  • How to Choose an Expert to Value your Leasehold Extension – Association of Leasehold Enfranchisement Partners

    Before contacting an expert valuer there is some information you should gather about your (potential) residential leasehold property. Address, leasehold length and freeholder details are all important as well as a general impression of what the freeholder is like, do they manage the property well? Are they overpricing the lease extensions? Make sure that anyone you choose to help with this task is a member of ALEP and a clear fee structure so you know what you have to pay to extend the lease. Read our checklist and articles about extending leases.

    Read more
  • Identifying and solving condensation, damp and mould – Envirovent

    If any of you are students, or have children who are, you will almost certainly have encountered damp, mould and condensation problems in a property. However, these issues aren't localised to just youngsters renting, we all need to know how to spot and sort them out. One of the most important things is to make sure you have a qualified surveyor to give you an expert diagnosis of the problem which may be caused by damp or by condensation. Handymen, builders and plumbers are not the people to turn to! Experts will checkout the problem for you free of charge and give you a correct diagnosis so you know whether it’s damp or condensation problem as they require different solutions.

    Read more
  • Identifying and solving rising damp – Peter Cox

    Rising damp can be a tricky thing to spot without knowing what to look for, or understanding the nature of the problem. Is your property suffering from rising or penetrating damp? Signs of rising damp include peeling wall paper and dry or wet rot may be visible on skirting boards; penetrating damp may appear due to loose slates & tiles and cracked render. You will need to get a specialist in to properly diagnose the problem, a local builder or tradesman won't have the required expertise to diagnose or fix the problem, so don’t try to cut corners. Finally, you'll need to understand the pros & cons of the available solutions as well as cost and make sure you get good guarantees and warrantees which survive the lifetime of the company you use.

    Read more
  • Maintaining your Property – Aspect

    Property maintenance can be a slog, all those little jobs we put off doing because there is always something more pressing to be getting on with, but if you're not careful and don’t maintain your home, you could end up invalidating your insurance. Firstly, read your policy to find out what maintenance you need to carry out and keep any receipts for work you have done. Also check things like missing tiles after windy weather and to see if any tree roots are affecting your foundations. You should carry out these sort of routine checks every six months to ensure you stay on top of things.

    Read more
  • How to choose a bespoke staircase designer? - Jarrods

    The first thing to think about when choosing a bespoke staircase is making sure you understand the building regulations and if not that the help you do get knows the rules! Then it is down to things like what type of staircase you’d like, the projects timing – if it’s weeks you might not have enough, if it’s a few months you will probably get some good, bespoke help. Always ask questions like whether VAT is included and before you settle on a company ensure you have references of previous work. So, if you are thinking of a new staircase, don’t secure one unless you have read this checklist first!

    Read more
  • How to choose Energy Efficient Windows – BFRC

    To choose energy efficient windows you will need to know the rating system, A++ is the most efficient and G is the least efficient. If you purchased your home after 2007 you will have been given an energy performance certificate so will easily be able to find out if your energy efficiency requires improvement. According to the Energy Savings Trust, fitting energy efficient windows can save up to £160 per year. You should always secure three quotes and ask how your windows achieve energy efficiency levels promised and check the window manufacturer and fitter is correctly accredited. Finally, you should ask to be given a BFRC Homeowner Energy Rating Certificate as it can help you sell in the future.

    Read more
  • Steps to choosing a window, glazing and door (WGD) Specialist – FENSA (Fenestration Self-Assessment Scheme)

    The first thing to do when choosing a WGD specialist is plan months if not a year ahead as the good ones tend to need time to provide the windows, especially if they are bespoke. It can be cheaper to replace everything in one job and you can choose uPVC, Resident 9 or wooden windows as well as aluminium. Whoever you choose though, make sure they are members of FENSA so you have guarantees and warranties and the windows provided are compliant with building regulations.

    Read more
Pages: First Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next Last

Register For Free

Create an account for free today to unlock some great features of Net House Prices.

Instant House Valuation