In order to provide you with the best online experience this website uses cookies. By using our website, you agree to our use of cookies. Close More Info


Why do I need a survey?

Buying a house is probably the biggest financial commitment you ever make and it makes sense to know as much as possible about what you are buying. A survey should be carried out before you make a commitment to buy the property by exchanging contracts.

There are two main types of survey in England and Wales, a HomeBuyer's Report and a Building Survey.

Filling in this brief form will give you details of surveyors in your local area and estimates for the cost of carrying out a Building Survey (for a brief explanation of the different types of survey see below).

Enquiry Form

The HomeBuyer's Report is suitable for properties which are modern or appear to be in reasonable condition. It provides a view of the overall condition of the property and a valuation. It will also highlight areas of the property that may need further investigation.
A Building Survey is a more detailed report about the condition of the property and will highlight any defects found as well as indicating how much they may cost to rectify. For an older property or one where you suspect there may be problems this is the better type of survey.

In Scotland the main type of survey is the Scottish Home Report.

Register For Free

Create an account for free today to unlock some great features of Net House Prices.

Instant House Valuation