In order to provide you with the best online experience this website uses cookies. By using our website, you agree to our use of cookies. Close More Info

Property Advice

Nethouseprices are delighted to have partnered with Kate Faulkner, one of the UK’s top property experts, to bring you the best help and advice for your property project or help solving a problem.

Kate is the author of property books for Which? the consumer organisation and is regularly featured in the media, commentating on the property market and giving advice on every type of residential property project or problem.

Kate and her team at have sourced the very best companies and organisation to partner with to bring you independent, up to date advice and help. So whatever you need to know, they will have a checklist or article to help or you can even ask them for help directly through their Contact Us or Forum.

These Buy to Let quick checklist guides will help you through the property investment and management minefield!

  • How to organise and choose your removals – AnyVan

    As a landlord you may well need to move your belongings from property to property for tenants and if you do, this can be the ideal service for you as AnyVan allows you to request quotes to shift stuff from A to B instantly – often at great prices too! Take a look at this checklist and see if this is a great service to help you – and of course your tenants too!

    Read more
  • How do you chase rent arrears and is it worth chasing them? - Geldards

    If you decide to chase rent arrears, the first job is to calculate how much the tenant actually owes you. If your tenant is still in the property check if the arrears are just an oversight or whether the tenant needs financial help. If the latter, you may be able to help them claim any relevant benefits, which in turn will help them pay you your rent. Knowing whether to serve a Section 8 or 21 notice is essential and part of a legal expert’s job to do so. If you are short of time or haven’t done anything like this before, use a legal expert to go through the right procedures and consider using a tracing agent.

    Read more
  • How to evict a tenant – Landlord Action

    Evicting a tenant is never a nice thing to do and should be a last resort, but if you have to do it, it still needs to be done and done properly. For example, you need to be clear why you are evicting the tenant and make sure that it is for a valid reason and you can legally evict them as your own paperwork needs to be in order too. If you don’t, you may end up starting the eviction process, go to court only to find out that you’ve made a mess of the paperwork and have to start again. Read this guide so you have a good idea in minutes of what to do and who can help you.

    Read more
  • Tenancy Deposits – Tenancy Deposit Scheme

    Is your tenancy an 'Assured Shorthold Tenancy'? If so, your tenant’s deposit has to be protected in a government approved scheme. If you are a tenant, you should check that the deposit has been protected by your landlord or agent within 30 days of starting the tenancy. They should give you specific information such as a copy of the government’s ‘How to Rent’ guide and copies of certificates, or you may not be able to evict them. By protecting a deposit in one of these schemes it means that an impartial adjudicator will sort any disputes at the end of the tenancy and work out how much and if any money needs to be deducted from the tenant’s deposit.

    Read more
  • Legionnaires Disease – No Letting Go

    As of April 2014 landlords were advised to take action to reduce the risk of exposure of legionella to tenants. Under certain circumstances legionnaires can be deadly, so it is vital that landlords get these things right. Under the 2014 changes to Health & Safety Work Act the Landlord or Person in Control of the Premises must understand how to:
    1. Identify and assess sources of risk
    2. Manage any risks
    3. Prevent or control any risks
    4. Keep and maintain the correct records

    Read more
  • Electrical Safety for Landlords – Electrical Safety First

    As well as having a periodic electrical inspection every 5 years (in Scotland) and ideally in England, N.Ireland and Wales, there are plenty of jobs landlords need to do to improve the safety of the electrics in their property. Make sure your fusebox is fitted properly and not damaged, ensure you have a working residual current device and check that sockets aren't overloaded. Lastly, it's vital that you keep a record of electrical safety reports, appliance instructions and guarantees/warranties so that you have evidence the property is safe should anything go wrong.

    Read more
  • Inventory Checklist – Inventory Genius

    The first thing to decide when getting an inventory done is whether to do it yourself or employ someone to do it for you. If you do employ someone, ensure they have a robust method of carrying out the inventory and are ideally members of AICC or APIP. If you're doing the inventory yourself there are a lot of things you will need to check, from stains in the carpet to including the address on each page of the inventory paperwork. You will need to make sure the tenant signs each page to prove they have read it and carry out a check with the tenants present in case of disputes.

    Read more
  • Buy to let insurance – Direct Line

    Know your tenant, check what cover you need and know the type of property when you sort out your buy to let insurance. Do you need cover for malicious damage? Rent cover? If you have more than one property should you get a multi policy? How long is the property covered for if left empty? Read this checklist so you know what you need cover the risks landlords have to take on a daily basis

    Read more
  • Choosing a letting agent – Belvoir

    First things first, only ever consider using a letting agent who are members of either NALS, SafeAgent or ARLA/RICS. It's then good practice to 'become a tenant' by googling 'renting a property' to see which agents are top. Use property portals to see which agents market similar properties to yours. This checklist will help make sure you choose the ‘good guys’ in the market that do their job well – and if they don’t you have an independent person to complain too!

    Read more
  • Renting by the Room – SpareRoom

    Renting out a room in your house can be a useful way of securing some extra income, whether you need just for some extra cash or intend to use the money to help with mortgage payments. You can earn up to £7,500 tax free from renting rooms in your home. There are few decisions you will need to make though before advertising any rooms.. Are you including all bills in the rent? How much will you charge for rent? You will also need to check if the property becomes an HMO if renting to more than two tenants. There are still legals you have to abide by and things like having an annual gas safety check is a must and protecting deposits you take in a government licensed scheme is essential or your tenants can sue you! Finally, it's important to make sure you secure the right landlord insurance, just in case! Read our guide and articles to help you know if renting a room is the right thing for you.

    Read more

Register For Free

Create an account for free today to unlock some great features of Net House Prices.

Instant House Valuation